Suggestion

The JKDS Forum. As of 1/1/07, the JKDS is SHUTDOWN. This forum is locked for posting but is still accessable for viewing purposes.
DSbr_interlopeR

Suggestion

Postby DSbr_interlopeR » Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:06 pm

how about putting real settings on the dedicated servers?

merc2 for NF guns
bgj for NF sabs
oasis/bgj for FF

you know, legit-respectable settings, the type of stuff people played on the zone

i dont remember nf blades of death ever being popular

KurganJKnet

Rant coming.. but with some helpful suggestions too...

Postby KurganJKnet » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:54 pm

Blades of Death is the ULTIMATE FF map. It's so much fun. It's atmospheric, has lots of weapons, is big, and just all around cool. For this reason, apparently, it was hated by the Canyon Oasis crowd, who preferred their wide open, virtually fullbright map with no secret areas.. (don't get me wrong, CO is good, but way overdone).

People hosting on the zone seemingly lacked imagination (again don't get me wrong I played there my share too, but I got sick of joining when all they did was play the same map over and over again with the same settings), all they played was BattleGround Jedi and Canyon Oasis (or one of the thousands of bad ripoffs of Canyon Oasis).

No offense, but really, what we need are some settings that weren't so overused for the past 6 years... namely some Full Force CTF and Full Force guns on all the Jedi Training maps. JK CTF with full force is GREAT. Anybody who doesn't agree hasn't given it a fair shot. The exhilirating speed and the awesomeness of Challenge at Nar Shaddaa and Arena of Dark and Light are just an extraordinary experience. Some couldn't master teamwork, others got "lost" in the big levels and couldn't be bothered to learn (playing without force on the biggest level is kind of a pain, but it's still possible), but for those of us who could, it was great. I should know, I was co-founder of the JK CTF group and eventual leader before it finally went kaput.

Another problem with the dedicated server (and don't get me wrong I'm grateful it exists at all), is that the maps don't rotate (at least they haven't for the past day or so). And don't assume I'm just some kiddie whining, I played JK & MotS for 3 1/2 years before finally migrating over to Jedi Outcast (which only lasted 4 months) and then Jedi Academy (great game!). I was energized seeing how great places like JKhub have become and this site is also an inspiration.

As a person who hosted JK/MotS games for 3 years and has hosted JKA games for at least a year, I think I know a thing or two about keeping a server stable. I realize JK was never meant for dedicated servers originally, but c'mon, I know you guys can do better!

The maps must rotate, simple as that. Put in a reasonable time limit for switching, not just a kill limit (no less than 20 minutes, no more than 45 minutes, IMO).

Thus when nobody is around, somebody screws up the map with build hacks, and then leaves. You can restore the map when you join, but its pointless because everybody has to restore it upon joining, and they usually delete regular 3dos in the map, meaning you lose pickups and some spawn points are instant fall deaths. Not fun...

The map can't simply restart, that doesnt' clear up the garbage, you have to CHANGE MAPS to get rid of the problems left by kiddies.

I guess that part of the community didn't stop after all this time... it's pretty sad. I mean really, what other reason is it done other than to annoy? A person can play with their hacks on their own offline game easily enough, or in their own private server.

If this community is to thrive, we don't need to bring back the bad stuff from 1997-1999, only the good. This is an old game, what we don't need is to kill it again via repetativeness and allowing kiddies (or rather grown up players who act like kiddies) to just mess with it again.

There's my 2 cents... MTFBWY.

KurganJKnet

Postby KurganJKnet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:01 am

I have only been playing on it in the past week and I will admit that prior to 24 hours ago it was rotating. Now it's stuck on Canyon Oasis (with the build hacks in place). Some of us banded together and purposely met the 20 point frag limit to try to rotate the map, but it just "restarted" again as Canyon Oasis (hacks intact).

The SBX server has been stuck on VOTJ ever since I began, I only played on it once the other night and it was full of build hacks then.

So either somebody is asleep at the wheel, or this was a practical joke by an admin. Hopefully not...

KurganJKnet

Postby KurganJKnet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:51 pm

Bummer. Oh well... I guess he must have gone on vacation 48 hours ago, because prior to that it was rotating (at least "Jedi Knight NF" was).

Thanks anyway. Maybe when I get back on the 11th I can try it again!

DSbr_interlopeR

Postby DSbr_interlopeR » Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:12 am

please you gotta be kidding me you guys are fucking newbies

Shinji

Postby Shinji » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:11 pm

you don't know that interloper. besides i agree with kurgan which is why I always hosted "you pick the settings anything no mods newbies welcome." unless there was enough decent players for 2v2.

KurganJKnet

Postby KurganJKnet » Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:48 am

Full Force guns is for newbs? Speak for yourself, n00b! ;)

As long as nobody's cheating, playing FF requires more skill, not less.
(and to clear up an ancient misconception if anyone is still thinking it: no, banning force powers does NOT significantly hinder cheating on a server).

Or why are you willing to allow Full Force sabers, but not Full Force guns?

Seems like a silly double standard. So don't call us n00bs, just because you didn't learn to play the game that way.

Just sayin'. :)

I played the game for 3 1/2 years and I learned to use sabers+force+guns, which made the series unique and interesting among the sea of FPS games... nobody else did?

Shinji

Postby Shinji » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:03 am

Nope KurganJKnet you must be the only one....

NOT!

I agree with your mentality 100%. It's unfortunate that the general population of JK preferred the slower, less mentally stimulating aspect of this game. The only reason I kept playing this game for so long is because all of the new shooters pailed in comparison. There's no game in the world as fast paced as JK FF. I don't care what any JK retiree turned CS player thinks.

Here's what I think you should do: help me fix my TCP/IP router / proxy / port setting issue, and train with me as my understudy. I can sense your prescence, the force runs strong in you. With your brains and my braun we could rule the world together!! mwa ha ha ha

or not. but I'd like to play you some day.

**Edit

just for the record interloper is a full force player. top notch at that. ive been playing bgj ff with him since we were both in anime themed clans. :b hehehehehehehehehehehe

Shinji

Postby Shinji » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:08 am

Hey buddy why don't you drop by #jk on irc.zirc.org. It's where all the coolest JK players and Star Wars friends hang out. I'm sure you've probably figured that out by now. And I'm almost certain you're a cleverly disguised alias, but not 100% and maybe we've just never crossed paths.

DSbr_interlopeR

Postby DSbr_interlopeR » Sun Jul 09, 2006 7:26 am

kurgan who the fuck are you?

i guarentee i can own you in any setting

YES i do play fulll force guns, and i guarentee i can put you in the negatives

are you retarded?

Return to “Archive: Jedi Knight Dedicated Server (2005-2006)”